Turning war into peace, these bold carry a meaningful message and give back to a community once devastated by bombing.
- Material: Recycled aluminum bomb parts
- Measurements: 1" Pendant + 30" Adjustable Cord
- Colors: Choice of Olive Green, Black, or Red cord
- Handmade with love in Laos
- As with all handcrafted goods, there are slight variations making each piece a work of art and truly one of a kind.
We work with artisans in Ban Naphia located in the Xieng Khuang Province who source aluminum from airplane parts and bombs dropped throughout Laos during the Secret War (Vietnam War) in the 1960s. The community which produces the recycled bomb products have all been trained by Helvetas, a Swiss NGO, on how to handle the metals safely, including smelting and cleaning the aluminum before use.
It is important to note that of all the bombs dropped in Laos, 30% did not explode. Unexploded ordnance (UXO) continues to pose a significant threat to the safety of villagers in rural Lao. In their search for scrap metal, many villagers encounter UXO and suffer catastrophic injuries. The generous spirit and ingenuity of Lao artisans is evident in our collection of recycled bomb products. War and persistent air raids in the 1960s left the countryside littered with bomb and metal shrapnel. The remnants of this legacy have been transformed into emblems of peace.